Thursday, November 12, 2009

When are you two going to have kids?

My friends have started having babies and my mother has noticed. Little does she know that it was a lifetime of her unsolicited take-control-of-your-life, work-on-your-career-first propaganda that has me where I am today: a good five years from even thinking about volunteering to wipe up somebody else's puke.

To be honest with you, I thought that my friends having kids would push me closer. I thought I'd see how happy they were and all the allegedly irresistible cuteness would sweep me away. Get ready, I thought. But on the contrary, my bekidded friends have all but vanished behind the walls of their happy little child-rearing compounds, barely a blip on the usual gang's where-shall-we-eat radar.

So I figure I'll save all that for when I start to get tired of having great conversations in trendy restaurants, taking spur-of-the-moment weekend trips, and never vacuuming.

If you see my mother, tell her she should have had more kids if she's so set on being a grandma. Tell her two more could've doubled her chances at the daily jackpot. After all, if having children is so great, why did she stop at two? The defense rests.

No comments:

Post a Comment